Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to deal with the 'pressure' of online chat in a long distance relationship if you don't feel like talking?

This is a question my nephew, who is in college now, emailed me the other day. He has been in love with a girl for over a year. Soon after they met, she had to move to France to begin her studies. He wrote:





';Today we live in a world where instant communication is the norm and is free: Instant messaging, Skype, webcams, etc. This past year, chatting and using the webcam have been daily rituals. On one hand, this makes me feel closer to her. But on the other hand, I鈥檓 almost always at a computer, whether it be my own or my computer at university. This means that for me instant messaging is always a possibility. And whereas this may seem like a good thing, I often feel I am supposed to be chatting whenever she is online, especially since our time zones don't leave that many available hours open. Of course it doesn't help if I am delaying university work, so whenever I don't feel like chatting, I felt I couldn鈥檛 use the excuse of having to work because I simply wasn鈥檛 working.';





Please give your serious opinions on how to deal with this delicate situation.


Many thanks!How to deal with the 'pressure' of online chat in a long distance relationship if you don't feel like talking?
He would need to set his priorities right. He should understand that he needs to get his college work done before he spends time on the computer chatting with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment